Main Street Bridge expected to be fully operational for maritime traffic this fall as repairs continue after boat crash

The Main Street Bridge in Downtown Jacksonville reopened on Tuesday morning after a tugboat crash closed the bridge for hours, according to the Florida Department of Transportation. (FDOT)

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Main Street Bridge won’t be fully operational for maritime traffic until this fall as crews continue repairs following a tugboat crash that happened earlier this month, the Florida Department of Transportation said on Thursday.

FDOT officials said the agency is currently in the process of receiving bids for the repair of the specialized electrical components required to restore the bridge’s lift functionality. For that reason, the agency anticipates the bridge will be fully operational for boat traffic this fall.

Recommended Videos



For that reason, FDOT said it is coordinating with the U.S. Coast Guard to provide scheduled openings for vessels during the repairs.

FDOT crews have been working on repairs since Aug. 19, when a tugboat struck the bridge and damaged electrical components, requiring the bridge to remain in the locked-down position and preventing it from opening for vessel traffic.

The bridge remains available for motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians.

FDOT said it will be releasing more information about scheduled openings and repairs.


Loading...

Recommended Videos