BRUNSWICK, Ga. – Wood pellets burst into flames inside a warehouse at the Port of Brunswick on Sunday evening, leading to a fire that burned into the next day, authorities said.
Firefighters in coastal Georgia continued pumping water throughout Monday on the warehouse, and that continued throughout the evening.
Crews were first called around 8 p.m. Sunday about the fire, and News4Jax received a video shortly after 10:30 p.m. of the roof of the warehouse collapsing.
“I just saw a lot of trucks and lights and action,” resident Laurie Lohne said. “I’m just a little about a block away so it was I had to come down and see what’s happening down here.”
The incident blew out the water main, according to Savannah Fire Department’s special operations chief. Water was being pumped out of the river to fight the fire. News4Jax was told the fire suppression system in the warehouse didn’t have water running to it.
The fire was the result of spontaneous combustion of the wood pellets, according to Alex Eaton, director of the Glynn County Emergency Management Agency.
Biofuel company Logistec of Montreal Canada -- the owner of the warehouse, which makes wood pellets used in home stoves as well as some industrial furnaces -- sent a statement Monday morning, saying the fire was the result of a “smoldering event, resulting from the build-up of heat within the piles of wood pellets.”
“No one was injured and there is no risk to the neighboring homes,” wrote Marie-Chantal Savoy, vice president of Logistec Corporation. “We want to thank the Brunswick and neighboring fire departments that responded to the incident.”